• On the Internet, there are no limits
  • On the Internet, there are no limits

Topic 5: A Review of Gamefly

Today, I'd like to spend a bit of time reviewing a video game rental service called Gamefly. Overall, I like this service a lot and would suggest all gamers check it out. So why should you join a service like this?

Let's think about how we traditionally acquire games to play for our game consoles. Many people simply purchase them, but as you have probably found out, this can end up costing you quite a bit of money. Those who are smart enough to rent either borrow them from friends, or rent games from places like Redbox. Doing this, our selection is always going to be somewhat limited.

But if you join Gamefly, you can access something like 8000 games for all the major game consoles. In addition to that, you really don't have to go anywhere to get your games, since they are mailed to your home. You are allowed to keep each game as long as you like, with the only condition being that you continue paying for your membership. When you are done playing a game, you can send it back to Gamefly and receive your next game. Shipping is always free, so that is not an additional cost you have to worry about. Your only cost, therefore, is the price of monthly membership. All in all, Gamefly is a terrific way to play hundreds of games that you would otherwise not have a chance to play.

So are there any downsides? Yes, one big one: you need to wait for your games to arrive by mail, and this can take several days. We all know that for an avid gamer, those days will drag really slowly. One solution is to get the membership that allows you to borrow 2 games out at a time. That way, you can always exchange the games one at a time, leaving you with at least 1 game you can play in the meantime.

Aside from that one gripe, I find Gamefly to be an excellent service. They are constantly adding new games, and they do a surprisingly good job of keeping popular games and new releases in stock. If you ever find yourself falling in love with a game and hoping to make it part of your permanent collection, you can pay for a game and keep it permanently. Since you'll be buying a "used" game, you can expect discounted pricing as well. If this all sounds good to you, I encourage you to try out Gamefly for one month free, courtesy of the Gamefly free trial offer.

If I were to give Gamefly a star rating, I would give it 5 stars (out of 5). Renting games will never be a perfect process, but being a Gamefly member is absolutely the best way to rent games that I have found so far.